This Saturday, farmers, ranchers, scientists, agriculture experts, business leaders, activists, and technologists are gathering virtually to tackle a critical question of the times:
What can farmers do, on their land, to thrive without using animals?
The COVID-19 pandemic has highlighted flaws within the existing animal agriculture framework, from outbreaks in slaughterhouses that have infected hundreds of workers, to processing backups and farmers being told to “depopulate” the animals they have raised.
The second Rancher Advocacy Program (RAP) summit, a collaboration between Texas-based Rowdy Girl Sanctuary and the Jane UnChained news network, invites leading thinkers across multiple fields to consider what it will take to transition to lucrative, plant-based alternatives.
The event will take place Saturday, Feb. 6, at 10 a.m. Pacific Time via Zoom.
Among the featured speakers:
- Brett Christoffel of All Y’alls Foods
- Geoff Whaling of the National Hemp Association
- Lee Recht of Aleph Farms, a cell-based meat company
- Claire Smith of Beyond Animal
- John Lewis, the Badass Vegan
- Geraldine Starke of Refarm’d
- Laura Reese of Agriculture Fairness Allianc
- Peter Albrecht of Villands Vånga Veganträdgård, a vegan farm
- Rowdy Girl’s Renee King-Sonnen
- JaneUnChained journalist Jane Velez-Mitchell and
- The Wildes, a farming family transitioning to a non-animal model
Topics for exploration include the challenges facing farmers who want to make the transition to plant-based productions — from community and family pressure, to tradition and existing contracts with meat corporations — to the types of alternatives that are out there and how farmers can effectively fund their new ventures.
Those interested in attending will need to register in advance for the virtual event, which will be hosted on Zoom by King-Sonnen and Velez-Mitchell.
Leading sponsors of the event include Miyoko’s Creamery, VegFund, Free from Harm, V-Dog, JaneUnChained News Network, Mercy for Animals, It’s Jerky Y’All, A Well-Fed World, Aleph Farms, andShine and Soaps for a Cause.
Details at a glance
WHAT: Rancher Advocacy Summit
WHEN: Saturday, Feb. 6, 2021 (10 am Pacific, 12 pm Central, 1 pm Eastern)
REGISTER TO ATTEND here