Dog Dies of Suffocation in Potato Chip Bag – Is Your Pet At Risk?

Dog Dies of Suffocation in Potato Chip Bag – Is Your Pet At Risk?

The dangers of used food packaging are in the spotlight after a much loved 5-month-old puppy died from suffocation after getting their head stuck in a potato chip bag last week.

After discovering that their rescue dog had gone missing from the house, the worried  family in La Porte, Michigan, reported to local police that their dog was stolen. They checked local rescue centers, talked to neighbors and put out calls for help on social media.

Sadly, they found the puppy deceased, in a room in the house that was seldom used. The dog had a discarded potato chip bag over the head and minor injuries to the body.

“At this time we believe that the dog possibly escaped from its own cage and got its head stuck in a potato chip bag,” said the police statement. “As the dog attempted to remove the bag from its head, it started to thrash around, causing some minor injuries.”

The veterinarian who examined the dog, Patrick Dorrah, said that it’s a more commonplace occurrence than we may think, and many people aren’t aware of the risk.

Bonnie Harlan, founder of Prevent Pet Suffocation, set up the organization after her 4-year-old dog suffocated when their head become stuck in a Frito Lay Cheeto bag. Her website is home to dozens of heartbreaking memorials dedicated to dogs who lost their lives due to these common household items.

“It’s very common,” said Harlan. “The problem is, people don’t know about it, and they don’t usually find out about it until it happens to their pet. Awareness is key. Maybe this family’s tragic story can help spread awareness.”

She says she hears about three to four new cases of pets who choke or suffocate from food packaging every week.

Harlan says that popcorn and chip bags pose the biggest danger, but cereal bags, pet treat containers and other packaging can also be a threat. When a pet tries to retrieve crumbs from the bag, it can create a seal and prevent access to oxygen. The animal will then panic and die from suffocation as the wrapper seals around the head.

Preventive Vet say that suffocation can happen in as little as 3-5 minutes. In a survey of 1300 pet owners, 9 out of 10 people did not know that their animal could suffocate from used food packaging.

It’s a simple fix to prevent a needless tragedy: ensure you store any food packages away from your animals, cut up the bags before you put them in the trash where a sneaky pet can find them, read these useful tips for preventing tragedy and share the information with your friends and family.

 



Note: Please keep comments peaceful and family friendly.

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

17 Comments

  1. Chantal VERGNAULT

    I am so sorry that this happened. Such a tragic loss of life. It just goes to show that we must be vigilant when it comes to storing bags and throwing away our rubbish.

    Reply Report comment
  2. cindi scholefield

    Much-loved pet? Why was that little darling left alone IN A CAGE? If you can’t have a puppy as a member of the family, don’t have one. Then they report the dog missing without checking their own house thoroughly?

    I have heard of this happening before, even with a small packet of chips. I always tear the bag and flatten it out when I’m finished. Which is what everyone should do. Maybe they’ll learn a lesson from this. I don’t have much sympathy for the owners, but my heart breaks for the puppy.

    Reply Report comment
  3. Barbara Rowe

    Heart breaking to hear something like that
    please watch them they’re so young.

    Reply Report comment
    • Caroline benedetti

      Sencess, cruel ,unnecessary …. please stop these people. Makes me sick

      Reply Report comment
  4. John Robinson

    These stories of pets being lost or hit by cars or something like a potato chip bag (and this inside at home?) are common sense things that could be easily avoided if owners actually supervised there pets like there suppose to.

    Reply Report comment
  5. Anya

    Please keep these papery and plastic things away from pets. Poor Patrick ! Love you Pup !

    Reply Report comment
  6. Denise K

    Puppies and kittens are going to get into things and need to be watched constantly and placed in safe areas. No excuse for this happening with a rescue animal. Some people do not understand they are taking in a life to protect at all times. This puppy deserved better and he got worse then being in a shelter. Furthermore, adult dogs and cats also get into things and have to be watched and protected. It is our duty as people who adopt to provide better care for our animals.

    Reply Report comment
  7. Jeanne Crabb

    So sad. Keep those bags in places where pets WILL NOT get into them!! The article stated that the dog had escaped from his cage and found the bag, getting its head stuck in it. Why was the dog in a cage??

    Reply Report comment
  8. Leanne

    I am so sorry that this happened. Such a tragic loss of life. It just goes to show that we must be vigilant when it comes to storing bags and throwing away our rubbish.

    Reply Report comment
  9. Leanne

    I am so sorry that this happened. Such a tragic loss of life. It just goes to show that we must be vigilant when it comes to storing bags and throwing away our rubbish.

    Reply Report comment
  10. Anne kuZel

    To the family really sorry to hear about your loss,hopefully when your ready you can get a new lov one that will need you just as much. Don’t blame yourselves it was accident.

    Reply Report comment
  11. Emily Boliver

    We all need to be more observant of our loved ones, whether they be animal or human. My heart goes out to this baby knowing that this could have been prevented.

    Reply Report comment

Get The Newsletter!

Fields marked with an * are required
Sign This Petition