Police officers in Massachusetts saved the life of a nine-week-old puppy this week after the dog’s distressed owner rushed him into the police station.
The Saint Bernard was not breathing and unconscious when Officer Jorge Hernandez first checked him over.
“My whole hands pretty much wrapped around him, and I started kind of pumping away at his chest,” said Hernandez. “You don’t really train for a dog in the academy, so the only thing I would say going through my mind was, ‘Oh my God, I hope I’m doing this right.’”
As the video shows, the young Saint Bernard’s guardian, Megan Vitale, was beside herself, pacing back and forth as she sobbed with concern for her beloved puppy.
Other people quickly assisted, including members of the fire department, and before long, the choking dog began to breath and show signs of life. The firefighters utilized a special canine oxygen mask to help him recover more rapidly.
“Many of our firefighters have pets at home in their own families,” said Fire Chief Don Stats. “We do not get to choose the emergency situation that comes our way, so it is important that first responders be prepared for anything.”
Thanks to the quick response by Vitale and the team at the North Reading Police Department, this lucky pup is receiving medical treatment for a suspected respiratory problem and is going to be just fine.